by “Gorgeous” Garrett Smith
This week on Monday Night RAW was the go home show for Money in the Bank. We began with a segment that was very similar to the one that was done at the go home show for Money in the Bank 2016. Every RAW competitor, both man and woman that is competing were sitting atop ladders in the middle of the ring and cutting promos on each other. Which was fun, even teammates from the Mixed Match Challenge were putting each other over. It’s good to see that kind of continuity. We also got a glimpse at Constable Baron Corbin with his new haircut…. He shaved it for some reason. Also correct me if I am wrong here, but Kevin Owens snuck in a “hard times’ reference on the anniversary of The American Dream Dusty Rhodes’ death.
Other RAW Highlights Include:
- Natalya gets the submission victory in a Fatal-4-Way that also featured Alexa Bliss, Ember Moon, and Sasha Banks.
- Drew McIntyre and Dolph Ziggler defeat Tyler Breeze and Fandango to put the whole tag team division on notice.
- Roman Reigns defeats Suil Singh, and then is attacked by Jinder Mahal.
- The B-Team defeats Heath Slater and Rhyno in roughly 2 minutes.
- Seth Rollins destroys a guitar gifted to Elias from John Mayer.
- Bayley is defeated by Ruby Riott
- No Way Jose extends Curt Hawkins’ losing streak.
- Sami Zayn forces Bobby Lashley to go through an obstacle course.
- Braun Strowman gets the win in a Fatal-4-Way in the main event against Finn Balor, Kevin Owens, and Bobby Roode.
Ronda Rousey and RAW Women’s Champion Nia Jax had a sit down in the middle of the ring that began very cordial. Jax highlighted Rousey’s accomplishments outside of the WWE, and how not everything would translate very well to the world of WWE. Rousey scoffed them off and pretty much said how awesome she really was and has lived her life by proving people wrong. It all ended with Rousey applying her signature armbar submission hold on Jax and forcing her to tap out, even though Jax has built up for weeks about how impossible the task was going to be. I really am curious as to where thy go with when they finish this match on Sunday, because your guess is as good as mine. I can’t say for a fact who the winner will be, but Rousey was standing tall during the go home show, and that formula usually means that person will not be successful come the PPV.
Shifting gears over to what transpired on Tuesday night with Smackdown Live: We had a a women’s summit with Paige mediating over the competitors for the women’s money in the bank ladder match. It was essentially the same thing that happened at the beginning of RAW this week, as all the women did their best to put themselves over and proclaim their inevitable victory. It was interrupted by not only Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose, but Billie Kay and Peyton Royce as well. It of course ended up with a brawl which prompted Paige to declare that all the women would be involved in an eight-woman tag team match, which would be the largest women’s match in SDLive history. Later on, however, Asuka and Carmella were added to the fold to make it a ten-woman match instead. We had to wait until the main event to see the conclusion though, which saw Asuka herself tapping out the champ before their match on Sunday and securing the win for the faces.
Other Smackdown Live Highlights Include:
- Daniel Bryan defeated Shelton Benjamin.
- Big Cass had a strange backstage promo involving a stolen carnival sign.
- Jerry Lawler showed up in his hometown of Memphis to interview AJ Styles.
- Rusev defeated Samoa Joe with The Miz as special guest referee.
- Jeff Hardy defeated Shinsuke Nakamura via DQ after Nakamura low blowed him.
Nothing major happened here on SDLive this week, as it was a very vanilla type of episode. It makes sense, this is a go home show. You want everyone on the show, but at the same time don’t want a freak accident to happen to prevent a star from showing up at one of the most important shows of the year. On paper it was good, as it showcased a lot of marquee matchups that showed a lot of promise but were cut short do to the circumstances.
205 Live Highlights Include:
- The Brian Kendrick, Drew Gulak, and Jack Gallagher are defeated by Lucha House Party.
- Akira Tozawa defeated Steve Irby.
- Lio Rush gets another video package hyping up his debut.
- Mustafa Ali dazzles again with a victory over Tony Nese.
NXT Highlights Include:
- The War Raiders defeat Martinez and Storm.
- EC3 defeated Kassius Ohno.
- Bianca Bel Air defeats Aliya using a sick torture rack to face buster.
- UK Champion Pete Dunne retains his title over Kyle O’Reilly.
- Lars Sullivan destroys NXT Champion Aleister Black.
“Gorgeous” Garrett is the Head Writer for Mark Set Go as well as a former SmackDown Predictions Champion. Keep up with his various musings on twitter @SmithGarrett91