By “Gorgeous” Garrett Smith
At Extreme Rules the previous night, RAW GM Kurt Angle stated that if Brock Lesnar didn’t show up to RAW this week that he would be stripped of the Universal Championship. RAW began with Angle repeating this claim and was on the verge of completing his task before Paul Heyman came out and defended his client. He essentially said that Brock was going to parade the title around during his next UFC run, and how fun that would be to represent the company in such a fashion. However, he was given an ultimatum: Brock defends the title at Summerslam next month, or he will officially be stripped of it. After it was agreed upon, the ring became filled with people staking a claim at being the number one contender. So, two triple threat matches were announced for the evening, the winner of each would face off next week, and the victor would face Lesnar at Summerslam. In the end, we had Roman Reigns defeat Finn Balor and Drew McIntyre, as well as Bobby Lashley defeating Elias and Seth Rollins. Which in my opinion, is dumb as hell. As it just means these two are facing off for the second ppv in a row for pretty much the same goal.
Other RAW Highlights Include:
- Dolph Ziggler defeats Bobby Roode.
- Mojo Rawley defeated Tyler Breeze
- Sasha Banks and Bayley defeated by Dana Brooke and Alicia Fox, and then have an awkward encounter backstage.
- The B-Team defeated The Ascension.
- Titus Worldwide is defeated by The Authors of Pain.
- Sarah Logan gets a surprise victory over Ember Moon.
Alexa Bliss came to the ring to brag about her victory over Nia Jax at Extreme Rules, and how she has essentially run through every woman in the locker room during her numerous reigns. We were then treated to a still suspended Ronda Rousey, who walked through the crowd and blocked Bliss’s exit. After laying out Mickie James and a number of referees she grabbed Bliss by the hair and escorted her back to the ring to unleash hell upon her. After being stopped by Kurt Angle, who promised that if Rousey would stop and stay have good behavior for the rest of her suspension, that she would face Bliss at Summerslam for the RAW women’s title. The crowd loved it, I loved it, but Constable Baron Corbin did not. He believed that instead of rewarding such actions, she should be reprimanded instead, sadly I have to agree with the heel here, but hey, its pro wrestling and nobody really cares.
Jeff Hardy opened up Smackdown Live this week and gave a “brokenesque” promo about how he was feeling about himself and how he felt about Shinsuke Nakamura, whom defeated him at Extreme Rules for the United States title due to nefarious means. This led to numerous shots between to two all night leading up to the rematch in the main event later in the evening. It was a very entertaining match throughout, and Hardy was on the verge of regaining the title after a Swanton Bomb, but was pulled from the ring and brutalized by a returning Randy Orton, who appeared to be following up his attack from Extreme Rules. Nakamura ended up retaining due to the interference. I’m not entirely sure what the angle is here, but it appears that we are not going to have boring face Orton anymore, but the evil viper most of us grew up liking.
Other SDLive Highlights Inlcude:
- AJ Styles defeated Andrade “Cien” Almas via submission in an A+ type of match.
- Becky Lynch defeats Mandy Rose, and if she defeats Carmella next week, will face her for title at Summerslam.
- Samoa Joe defeats Tye Dillinger via KO.
- Kofi Kingston is defeated by Eric Young.
The Miz held a funeral for team Hell No, and poked fun for the events that transpired the team at Extreme Rules. Letting the crowd know that both Daniel Bryan and Kane’s best days were behind them. The Miz makes everything he does these days extremely entertaining and this segment proved it yet again. It prompted Bryan to run to the ring and confront the A-Lister and begin the feud that we have all wanted for roughly two years now. As long as everything goes the way we hope it does, then these two are on a collision course to battle it out at Summerslam.
205 Live Highlights Include:
- TJP defeats Noam Dar via submission.
- Drew Gulak squashes a jobber.
- Lio Rush defeated Akira Towzawa in a fun contest.
NXT Highlights Include:
- Lacey Evans defeats Dakota Kai.
- Bianca Bel Air removed from Fatal-4-Way due to injury.
- Ricochet and The Street Profits each call out Adam Cole and The Mighty respectively.
- EC3 issues a challenge to the dorky Kona Reeves.
- Kassius Ohno KO’s a jobber almost instantly.
- A War Raiders video package highlighting their journey to NXT played.
- With NXT Women’s Champion Shayna Baszler on commentary, Kairi Sane defeated Candace LeRae and Nikki Cross to become the #1 contender at NXT Brooklyn.
“Gorgeous” Garrett is the Head Writer for Mark Set Go and a former SmackDown Predictions Champion. To stay up to date on thoughts on WWE and much more follow him on twitter @SmithGarrett91