By “Gorgeous” Garrett Smith
Monday Night RAW….. what a disappointment. On the heels of the groundbreaking ALL IN show on Saturday night, they failed to follow up with their own creativity and in my opinion, showed their ass on this one. From trotting out the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels yet again in the year 2018, to already giving up on the new Kevin Owens story, even still going with the Roman Reigns experiment with so many other over people on the roster (and again teaming with the Shield no less). Smackdown seems to be consistently a solid show each week, 205 Live is getting better, and NXT is always must see tv. Throw in the Mae Young Classic starting again this week and there is some quality programming all around us, but the flagship show continues its run of spotty shows week in and week out. Sometimes it’s good, other times its comically bad, just like this week. I just really don’t know here. Where are they going?
Getting back to the segments that took up majority of the show, we had Braun Strowman explain why he teamed up with Ziggler and McIntyre. This brought the Shield out to confront them and started a brawl that required the whole locker room to stop. The hounds of justice were then promptly arrested and taken away in a police van. Periodically we got updated throughout the night letting us know their processing. Later, Ziggler/McIntyre took out the Revival and replaced them in their RAW tag team title match against The B-Team. Heels went over and became the new champs. In the main event, Braun took on Finn Balor. After beating him, the Shield made their return to the arena and were about to brawl again but were stopped by the rest of the heels in the locker room who all worked together to break the shield.
Other RAW Highlights Include:
- The Bella Twins defeated The Riott Squad in a very botch filled match.
- Bobby Roode and Chad Gable defeated The Ascension.
- Alexa Bliss interrupted Elias and then defeated Natalya.
- Drake Maverick announced that he was going to lead the Authors of Pain to success after they defeated some local enhancement talent.
- The Undertaker plants the seeds for another match with Shawn Michaels.
- Dana Brooke seemingly leaves Titus Worldwide after she and Ember Moon lose to Sasha Banks and Bayley.
- KO returns to attack Bobby Lashley during his mandatory moment with Jinder Mahal.
Smackdown Live was dominated by three pairs: Daniel Bryan and Brie Bella, The Miz and Maryse, and finally Andrade Almas and Zelina Vega. Before the show The Miz and his wife challenged Bryan and Brie to confront them in an empty arena when they obviously were not there yet. After the “no show” they decided to go have a fancy dinner out in town. This led into a match between Bryan and Almas which was of course fantastic. Bryan went over, and Brie decided to go out on the town to find his Hell In a Cell opponent. Later on, in the main event, The Miz returned to the arena to face off against R-Truth of all people. After some shenanigans involving the Bryan family, Truth gets the pin. Before Bryan and Brie could get their hands on their HIAC opponents, Almas and Vega came to get some revenge, only to be put in dual Yes Locks to close the show.
Other SDLive Highlights Include:
- Naomi defeated Peyton Royce, and Asuka made her tv return to help her after the heels attacked post-match.
- Samoa Joe cut another promo to AJ Styles’ family watching at home, which prompted the champ to come attack his foe.
- Rusev and Aiden English defeated Sanity and The Uso’s in a triple threat tag team match. They will now face The Bar next week to see who will face The New Day at HIAC for the tag team titles.
205 Live Highlights Include:
- Gran Metalik defeated Tony Nese.
- Noam Dar defeated Brian Kelly with Lio Rush on commentary.
- Cedric Alexander defeated TJP, only to become a victim to Drew Gulak to close the show.
NXT Highlights Include:
- Kassius Ohno defeated Kona Reeves and turns heel in the process?
- The Forgotten Sons defeated the Street Profits in their first match on NXT due to interference by Shane Thorne.
- William Regal continues his investigation of the attack on Aleister Black.
- Kairi Sane defeats Trish Adora, and then is confronted by Shayna Baszler.
- Velveteen Dream scores a victory over Johnny Gargano, as he continues his downward spiral.
This week also saw the return of the Mae Young Classic. Following NXT we saw the initial group of matchups from the first round.:
- Tegan Nox defeated
- Rhea Ripley defeated MJ Jenkins.
- Lacey Lane defeated Vanessa Kraven.
- Meiko Satomura defeated Killer Kelly.
“Gorgeous” Garrett is the Head Writer for Mark Set Go and a former SmackDown Predictions Champion. To stay up to date on thoughts on WWE and much more follow him on twitter @SmithGarrett91